Cristóbal Colón Sword (Gold)
Replica of the sword of Christopher Columbus with flat garrison with engraving of a cross on the beaker, and with two short hawks towards the blade. Round fist and carved with grooves and inscriptions. Round knob and flat carved with motifs. Narrow sheet of two tables and channel.
- Overall: 116 cm
- Width: 21 cm
- Weight: 1,6 kg
Christopher Columbus (1450-1506) was an Italian explorer, navigator, colonizer, and citizen of the Republic of Genoa. Under the auspices of the Catholic Monarchs of Spain, he completed four voyages across the Atlantic Ocean. Those voyages, and his efforts to establish permanent settlements on the island of Hispaniola, initiated the European colonization of the New World.
Though Columbus was not the first European explorer to reach the Americas, his voyages led to the first lasting European contact with the Americas, inaugurating a period of European exploration, conquest, and colonization that lasted for several centuries.
His strained relationship with the Spanish crown and its appointed colonial administrators in America led to his arrest and dismissal as governor of the settlements on the island of Hispaniola in 1500.
Wise geographer and sailor, he conceived his Project of exploring the Indies mailing westwards; this project, offered to several crowns and fortunes of Europe, caused a great mistrust. He opposed the most generalized beliefs of the age because of his support to the theory of a spherical Earth.
After twenty years with many difficulties he eventually got the support of Spain and its “Catholic Kings”. He was granted three boats: Pinta, Niña, and Santa Maria. On August 3rd, 1492 our personage departed with his crew from Palos harbour (South Spain). On October 12th, 1492 reached what we know as America, landing in Guanahani Island (San Salvador), the discovery of a new continent had taken place in History.
High Quality Sword of the Exclusive Collection "Historical, Fantastic and Legend Swords" made by MARTO.
Certificate of Quality and Origin, Made in Toledo (Spain).